How to choose a therapist
Be aware that choosing a therapist is an important decision because
therapy involves a large commitment of time, energy, and money.
Begin by getting the names of a few therapists. Then ask them some
questions on the phone, including:
• Are you licensed and how long have you been practicing?
• Do you have an area of specialization? What is it?
• What therapeutic approach do you usually use?
• Offer the person a thumbnail sketch of what your problem is and
then ask, Do you have experience treating this kind of problem?
• What makes you think that your approach would be helpful for me?